Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Scents and Scentsability

Blog about a scent that reminds you of childhood, or just one with strong emotional connection.

I am an aromatherapist so anything that has to do with "smelly stuff" is always really fun for me. Research that has been done with the brain and memories shows that the sense of smell is the strongest in the ability to evoke memory. However, you don't need a research study to tell you that. How many times have we gotten a whiff of something and it immediately brings us back to a memory of years gone by? Or sometimes I will smell something and it will drive me crazy until I finally figure out what the connection is. A few years ago, I was shampooing my hair and the scent of the shampoo was from my childhood- but the brand was from this time frame! I finally figured out what it smelled like. Clairol Herbal Essense Shampoo. It was green, dark forest green, in a flattened cylinder shape, like a 3d upside down U.

Some others scents that really bring me back in time are:
  • Youth Dew, My grandma's perfume
  • Garlic, oregano from my mom's gravy (spaghetti sauce)
  • Old Spice (Dad)
  • Love's Baby Soft
  • Coppertone!
  • The Ocean
  • Dial Soap
  • Burnt Popcorn -- remember Jiffy pop? On the stove? No matter how you cook it, burnt popcorn always smells like that.
That is all I can think of, but I know there are more in there. As soon as I smell 'em, I ll remember them.

2 comments:

heather said...

I like how you said "as soon as i smell them, I'll remember them" I totally agree, that's what I said too! It's the smell that's the trigger rather than the blog prompt right? The shampoo one was a good one, it made me remember the smell of this apple shampoo I used to love. enjoyed your post, great list !

capri said...

What is the name of the current day shampoo that smells like the original Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo??????????????????????/