Monday, May 22, 2006

Favorite Vacation

Even though this really has nothing to so with the summer, my memories of this particular vacation is especially heartwarming for me.

To give a bit of background, hubby and I are "Disney People." I grew up loving Disney Movies and had always dreamed of going to Disney World. When I first met hubby, I found out he liked Disney too. In fact, the night I feel in love with him, he was wearing a Mickey T shirt. I knew any guy who liked Mickey that much had to be a good person. Even though the shirt will never fit him again, neither of us will throw it out.

When we were married a little over a year, we took a trip to Disney, my first, his 3rd or 4th. I was blown away by the magic. And even though we didn't have kids yet, we had decided that we wouldn't take them until they were walking and out of diapers.

When I was pregnant with my son (who just turned 10 yesterday!!!!) it was a no brainer, he was going to have a Disney Nursery. Not Baby Mickey but real Mickey. One of my favorite characters of Mickey was him as the Sorcerer's Apprentice, so I decoupaged a stool, a coat rack, switch plates with that, hung pictures of Mickey on the walls and so on.

Then after he is born, he has no choice but to be a Disney Kid. Most of his clothes had Mickey on them, he had tons of Mickey toys. At around 11-12 months old, one of his first "words" was Gee-Gee (Mickey). I knew there was no way in the world we were going to wait *years* for him and his future sibling to be out of diapers. No way!

So right after his 1st birthday, we booked a trip to Disney. We invited the grandparents to join us, and my in-laws took us up on that. The theme was the 25th anniversary Celebration and the logo on everything was Mickey as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. It was perfect!

The most amazing part of the trip was on our first day there. We had just walked into Magic Kingdom and the 3:00 parade was coming down Main Street. Scott, dressed in a Mickey Mouse outfit, was sitting up on his dad's shoulders, And there was a giant Sorcerer's Apprentice on the float, waving to all of the kids lined up. Scott was yelling out "GEE-GEEEE!" and blowing him kisses. I literally got completely choked up at that. The rest of our time there, he loved visiting with all of the character's but Mickey has always held a special place in his heart. And that memory will always hold a very special place in mine.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

What a beautiful memory! I love Disney World too and have been there many times when I was in college (my roommate lived near there), when I had

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

What a wonderful vacation memory! I am looking forward to taking my boys to Disney next year