Friday, May 26, 2006

Process vs Product

Oh my, what a great question. As a former PreK teacher, you can imagine how much we stressed process not product for just about everything, especially art. I was definitely one of those "color outside the lines* teachers, and nothing bugged me more than the teachers who felt that a sky can be only blue.

But I have to admit, it is much harder to take my own advice when I do my scrapbooking, either paper or digi. I get an idea in my head and sometimes struggle with my inability to get it down exactly as I see it. That is when my perfectionism comes into o ruin what could be a lovely, albeit imperfect LO.

The LO's that I tend to love the most are the ones I put my heart into, instead of my critical eye.
So it the process as important? You betcha. Many times I find the happiness of reliving a memory, or the new perspective I have gain from looking at an event just as much a reward as a good LO.

Is an appealing LO also important? Sure thing, as long as I remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what my heart thinks is beautiful and fulfilling to me is more important than nagging voice of criticism that will someday learn to shut up.

6 comments:

Monica said...

This is a really great post!

Have a nice day!

(my word verification was chmyhero! lol!)

Glynis said...

Very nicely said! I agree whole-heartedly!

Unknown said...

Oh I wish you have been my son's art teacher.

loonyhiker said...

Isn't it funny we both thought about beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Meg said...

Love it! I experience the same dilemma, I am firmly of the "color outside the lines" set, but with scrapping, man I want it to look good in the end! LOL, no satisfying me!

ArtcTrish said...

Well said!