Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Toliet Paper?!

According to a physics professor quoted by Ann Landers, to get the toilet paper roll to turn requires a certain torque, which comes from the tension in the paper being withdrawn. The greater the distance between the plane of the paper being pulled and the axis support line, the lesser the force required and the lesser the chance of tearing the paper before you have enough.

Should the toilet paper be hung so the paper dangles over or under the roll?


There are many days that I am so glad that I am not the only one putting the tp on the roll, or that there is even any tp at all in the bathroom, that it wouldn't matter which way it goes.
However, I grew up in a house that some days it was over, some days it was under, other days it just stayed on the top of the tank. That for some strange reason, irritated me to no end.

And as far as what the physics guy says, I have to agree that there is a ring of truth to that. I find that it is easier to pull the tp from the top, so thus, it should come from over the roll.

I have also recently heard (and I don't know why I even remember this) that it the tp is to the right of the toilet, it should go on way. If it is to the left, it should goo another way. Why that would matter is beyond me.

But all of the tp talk does raise a burning question in my mind.
If in the Northern Hemisphere the tp should come off the roll over the top, should it come from under the roll in the Southern Hemisphere?

Anyone from "Down Under" want to give us a hint?
Enquiring Minds Want to Know!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Commenting from DOWN UNDER - (Western Australia) - my toilet paper is over the top so does that mean because I am Down Under it is going up and not down? So confused.

loonyhiker said...

I have to admit that I'm so bad that I hate to put the TP on the roller. When my cleaning people come in every 2 weeks, I leave out a new roll for them to put on. Is this the ultimate in laziness?

carin.c said...

I hate reloading the roll too! Isn't it funny how you remember tp facts from childhood?! LOL!

Maggie said...

LOL at the enquiring minds!!!

Michelle said...

oh too incredibly funny! thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

Down here we're always over the top. Haven't you noticed?

But you raise a serious point Pat. We'll have to get our finest scientific minds researching this. There must be a grant in it somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Down here we're always over the top. Haven't you noticed?

But you raise a serious point Pat. We'll have to get our finest scientific minds researching this. There must be a grant in it somewhere.

Unknown said...

over the top or under? the inquiring minds want to know and those of us in charge don't care because someone else is changing the roll.