Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Woman's Work is Never Done. Never.

What do you dislike the most about being a housewife(SAHM)or housework in general? What are the best things about this challenging job? (Motherhood and/or housework)
The housework bit is pretty easy to answer. What I dislike most is the drudgery of the tasks that never end. You can never say you are "done" with laundry. Or the dishes. Or dusting. Or just about anything else that has to do with cleaning. It makes it hard, far me anyway, to relax completely because there is always one more thing on my plate. And the kicker of it all is that no one ever really gets to enjoy their "progress" or accomplishment. Once the living room is vacuumed, I have two kids and some hairy pets who will muck it up in no time flat. But the plus side to all of that is when my kids or hubby even say that they love our house and they are happy living here. That makes me feel appreciated at the very least.

One of the hardest things about being a mom is the feeling of being pulled in thousands of directions at the same time. It is hard with the challenges of too much to do and not enough time to do it in. And the feeling that I am always rushing somewhere-- it gets exhausting. And it is depressing. There are too few days where I feel that I can really stop and smell the roses, so to speak, with my family. And that bugs me more than anything. Life is slipping by. And for what? Whatever "it" is, it never seems worth it.

But there is a huge benefit to being a SAHM. My kids. I adore them. I love them more than life and it makes my heart smile when they say that they love me, or that I am the best mom ever. A hug from them is worth thousands of loads of laundry. A kiss would be one million dinners that they said they didn't like. It is the huge amounts of joy they bring me, and the enormous amount of pride I have for them. And I wouldn't trade any of that for the cleanest house, the most gourmet meals and the most free time. They are worth more than all that, and then some.

5 comments:

debra said...

Wow... the last 2 sentences just say it all! I couldn't agree more :)

Glynis said...

Stated perfectly, my friend! Both about the laundry --and the kids!!

heather said...

Amen! ITA You get so much more love back from kids than from a clean house.

Bonnie said...

Good post! I did that today-forgot the stuff I had to do and sat down in my son's room and just played with them for ages, it was rewarding and more satisfying than having a spotless home!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I totally agree!

I'm working on getting the kids to do the cleaning. :)